How long does it take to get full custody of a child?

How long does it take to get full custody of a child?
February 7, 2018 Author

When a parent seeks sole or total custody of a child, they must prove to the court that having this type of custody is in the best interest of the child.

These types of child custody cases can take longer to finalize because the court must have proof that both parents should not be active in raising the child.

In recent years the court system has changed its belief on awarding total Child Custody in Oklahoma only to the mother and giving the father limited or no rights concerning the child.

child custody

It has now become the standard practice that children respond better to having both parents active in their lives, even if the parents aren’t married. To go against this belief, the court requires that the parent seeking sole custody show that:

• There is potential for physical or emotional abuse from the other parent
• The other parent is suffering from drug or alcohol abuse
• The living situation of the other parent would be considered dangerous
• The other parent has no way to provide support for the child

As the sole custody parent, you will also need to establish to the court the relationship that you have with the child. The court wants to make sure that the child desires to live with you and you only and that there is a good relationship in case of child custody.

It is the responsibility of the court to always make sure that the best interests of the child are met.

If you are seeking sole Child Custody in Oklahoma , or if you have any type of custody issues, you should work with a qualified OKC child custody lawyer.

Working with an attorney will allow you to build and present a case to the court that the court will find acceptable.

Your OKC child custody lawyer will also work with you to establish any obligations the other parent may still have for the child. Depending on the various circumstances surrounding your case, you may still be entitled to support for your child.

Get Consultant and  suggestion from Holly Hefton P.C, Oklahoma (OCK) Call 405.312.3366 or contact us online.


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *